Tuesday, June 12, 2012

During the peer review we had during class I was really impressed with all the papers that I've read. It's a wonder why any of you are in this class! I read a paper about relationships, love and friendship, one about LGBT rights and a paper on human diversity through the eyes of someone from China. They were all written so well and very enjoyable. It really makes a difference when you have the opportunity to write about something that you choose and are passionate about. When there's a personal connection to what you're writing. These papers really showcased that. Very proud of my group :) It's really nice to see the different points of views of others on different topics. Now I feel like the paper I wrote sucked haha. But it's only the first draft! That inner critic in all of us is a bummer! I'm also those kind of people that feel shy and embarrassed to share what I write. Especially since I had to write the paper over and over trying out different topics. Then I scrapped them all because they were way to predictable of me and too science-y. I wanted to get off the Science type of direction and to try something else with this assignment.

The transcribing process is a hell of a process. I have so much audio to go through! Hopefully I'll have the time to complete it. I'm glad that we're receiving extra time in class to do it. The samples we saw in class were very helpful. I really had no idea how we were going to do this. But the samples clarified some things. Blogging is hard I feel like I'm just summarizing the class, because I'm trying to tie it in with what we did. I remember that PIE technique from a previous English class. But that was so long ago. The last English course I've taken I think was like maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

I can't believe that we're halfway through the course. This is crazy. I've taken other summer classes before, but for some reason it seemed like they were much more longer. Time seems to go by so fast when there's so much to do.

Random Fish fact: Lobe-finned fishes the Sarcopyterygians are more closely related to tetrapods including humans than other fishes!



From California Academy of Sciences private collection

Coelacanth is an example of a Sarcopytergian. They are ancient fish! Often called a living fosssil, because they were thought to have been extinct 65 million years ago, but have been rediscovered. Makes you wonder what else is living in the ocean! Megalodon??




3 comments:

  1. I just finished transcribing the paper, and it took forever. I have never done anything like this.

    That is a big fish! Glad they found it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too really enjoyed the peer evaluation process during class on Monday night. I also am really proud of everyone in our group and the quality of work created during our first draft process. I was pleased that we all took the process of providing feedback seriously, carefully read and discussed each essay in such detail. I feel it is important to receive feedback on our papers from the readers in order to make necessary improvements in our papers that we as the writers may otherwise overlook.

    On a separate note, I am baffled that tonight marks our midpoint for the summer semester. I am proud I have kept up with all the readings, blogging, comments on other people's blogs, participating in class and of course all assignments to be turned in. I'm hoping working twice as hard during the short summer semester with help me keep my "A" average and carry me through until graduation - almost there!

    That is a HUGE fish! Where was this photo taken? Thanks for sharing the fish fact. I'll share with my dad over Father's Day brunch; he loves to fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished transcribing my paper! It took such a long time! omg.. I also cut off some audio because i had way too many pauses.. Anywho, that's a huge fish! LOL

    ReplyDelete