Wednesday, June 27, 2012

So we just have 2 more class sessions left! After doing my presentation, just one final essay. This last essay looks really tough. I'm glad that I got my presentation over with, but I kind of want to do mine over haha. I had it all ready in my head, but when I got up there everything started slipping away! Speaking in front of people is not my thing! I had so much more to say, but I couldn't pull it out of my head. Neil Shubin is a really great science writer and amazing scientist all around. I wanted to be able to convince everyone to check him out, but I couldn't remember what to say! But everyone else had an awesome presentation. I enjoyed them all! I especially likes Anthony's because I've read so many articles by PZ myers and he does a lot of research in my field of study. So it was really cool to find out that he did science blogs. I had no idea. Thanks Anthony! I'm really looking forward to everyone else's presentations and learning about some new author's and books to add to my reading list.

So that final essay. I don't even know how I'll even approach it. Hopefully the samples that we will see in class will clear some things up. I like Chuck Klosterman. Maybe I'll go with him. I don't know!

So this blog is just all over the place. But I'd like to talk about Neil Shubin again haha. He really is like a rockstar in the science world. He found and made that missing link between land and sea! He's really down to earth and just awesome. Super smart as well. I really do recommend that everyone picks up his book Your inner Fish. It's written as a narrative telling his own personal stories of his expeditions. He goes through all those questions of how and why and where this came from? relating to the human body and evolution. He really writes it for a general audience, beyond just the scientific type. He doesn't use all those fancy terms and explains things clearly and easily in a way that anyone can understand. He also puts so much humor into his book. It's so different from other Science books that you read. And if you're interested he has many many articles and studies that have been published in Scientific journals that are really science-y., but very cool and interesting. 

So I think I have about a week of vacation after this English class before I start my R3 session. I'll have class everyday for 4 hours! Yikes. I think it's only a week after this R3 session that the Fall semester begins. So I don't really get to have a summer vacation. But Fall will be my last semester before I head off to bootcamp for the Navy. Have to pay for school somehow!

I don't know what I'm writing anymore just random stuff haha so I'll end it here.

2 comments: